I made this for my husband and he Loved it! I like to serve it over jasmine rice. If you are a vegetarian or just going meatless a few meals a week, this dish is a powerhouse of protein. It is great for leftovers too as the flavors get a chance to mingle.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 15-ounce cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 15-ounce can chopped tomatoes, drained
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium Thai chile pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil and saute onion and bell pepper until just tender.
- Stir in kidney beans, coconut milk, tomatoes, garlic, chile pepper, cumin, cardamom, curry, and turmeric. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring frequently, for 10-15 minutes, until flavors blend.
- Stir in cilantro and honey, and season with salt and pepper. Serve hot over rice.